[Short Documentary]-Sweet Dreams In The Storm (trailer)

Link of the film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvwdhW3V-EE


Visual references










Synopsis

Memo and I seat on the bench inside of the church, it's the time for Memo to go receive the holy communion, he follows the line and gets gradually closer to the priest, it proves that Memo believes his faith is unwavering and deserves the rewards from God. However, in the midst of this peaceful atmosphere, my heart was hard to calm. As a non-religious person, even though I am in a church right now, I still feel the unease of the real world all the time and I can't get rid of the deep powerlessness in my body.

 

The film will be based on the theme of how to find my own peace as an ordinary person, from my point of view, and will show my journey to find peace during the COVID-19. The film will jump between reality and memory to illustrates how even the most difficult external circumstances will eventually be adapted to by people over time, but it is always the noise from deep within that keeps us from being at peace.


More background

The trajectory of my life dictated that I would start this film at this time, and where I would cut and end up. As a native of Wuhan, my mind was weary from all I had experienced during the covid in fear and anxiety, and I began to want to find ways to bring myself peace.

My close friends gave me the initial clues: one of a close friend of mine chose to convert to Buddhism in April 2020 and when I arrived in Edinburgh from Wuhan in September, I met my flatmate Memo, a Catholic. In my interactions with these two friends, I sensed that they both seemed to have the kind of peace I was looking for, and with my long-standing interest in religious culture, I chose to make religion my first stop on my journey to find peace. (So far, that's where I'm headed for the first semester)

 As I continued to film and explore, my direction changed somewhat and I felt that religion could not be the end of this journey for me. I discussed religious topics with my friends, went into the church, and attended mass regularly with my flatmates, and these acts did give me a sense of peace and healing, but this healing was not brought to me by religion, but by these people with whom I was closely connected, so intimacy became the second stop on my journey of peace.

To find peace, one must first confront the things that make you unsettled, and intimacy for me was a major reason why I could not find true peace. I have some traumatic memories of intimate relationships that have had a long and subtle impact on my life, and since I have embarked on this journey to find peace, I have felt that in addition to receiving strength from those around me, I am also growing in my own self-reflection and the hole in my heart is gradually being filled.

I found that this path of pursuing peace should be from the outside in and that the epidemic was just a magnifying glass that magnified the recurring pain that has existed in our lives for so long. I think I have to face, accept, and let go of the traumatic memories that still affect me to this day and stop fighting myself before I can truly have peace, which is the third stop I am hoping for.

The effect of this film I would like to have

All in all, this film is a journey to find peace from my personal point of view. It does not judge or limit any one way to find peace, because the answer to find peace is not the only eternal one, this film is a call to action and a climbing stick, which I hope will give some help and company to those who are also preparing to go on the road and are on the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Short Documentary] Before my next breath